Sika’s products for sprayed concrete represent the newest generation and cutting-edge technologies that have resulted from more than one hundred years of involvement in the business. Sika is the expert in all sprayed concrete technologies, including both wet and dry spray processes. This allows us to provide the optimum solution for each type of project and application, including the development of our own Aliva sprayed concrete machines. When combined with our research, development and globalized production of specialized sprayed concrete admixtures, such as Sika® Sigunit® and Sika® ViscoCrete®, plus our years of experience in tunneling, mining and all types of major construction projects, this makes Sika the ideal partner for owners, designers and contractors on any type of sprayed concrete works.
Sika Sprayed Concrete Solutions
Successful sprayed concrete requires the combination of many aspects of modern concrete technology especially concrete admixture chemistry, together with modern materials handling technology. The increasing demands for cost effectiveness and the protection of health and the environment mean that sprayed concrete has been in continuous development. Thanks to more than one hundred years of experience, expert knowledge and a focus on performance and economy, Sika is able to provide the newest generation of sprayed concrete solutions.
Set & Hardening Accelerators
Sprayed Concrete Has Many Advantages
- Application to any elevations because sprayed concrete adheres immediately and bears its own weight
- Can be applied on uneven substrates
- Good adhesion to the substrate
- Totally flexible configuration of the layer thickness on site
- Concreting without formwork
- Reinforced sprayed concrete is also possible (mesh/fiber reinforcement)
- Rapid load-bearing skin can be achieved without forms or long waiting times
Sprayed Concrete Applications
Sprayed concrete has a wide application range due to its high flexibility, good economics and good physical properties. However, the sprayed concrete method is requiring a high degree of mechanization and well trained nozzle operators. Nevertheless, the advantage over conventional concreting methods is outstanding: the application of concrete without any formwork. Sprayed concrete is mainly used in the following applications:
- Excavation stabilization in tunneling and mining construction
- Slope and trenching stabilization
- Protective lining
- Concrete repair (concrete replacement and strengthening)
- Special lightweight load-bearing structures
- Restoration of historic buildings (stone structures)
- Sealing works
- Construction of swimming pools
Requirements for Sprayed Concrete
The multiple demands placed on sprayed concrete today no longer allow standard solutions. Dependent on the spray process and the type of structure, different conditions are imposed on the sprayed concrete during application and in service.
In tunnel construction sprayed concrete is normally used for excavation stabilization, in open-pit mining and on major construction sites it is typically used for rock and soil stabilization on slopes. In bridge and other civil engineering repair and refurbishment works, sprayed concrete is often used specifically because formwork can thereby be dispensed with.