Also called vegetated roofs, eco-roofs, or garden roofs, a green roof is simply a planted area on a flat or sloped roof. You can grow everything from low grasses, herbs and sedums to trees and shrubs, depending on the type of green roof.
Green Roofs Offer Many Benefits to Your Project
- Visually more appealing and provides a park-like ambiance on your rooftop
- Can contribute to your sustainable building certification rating
- Slows down storm water flow by retaining up to 75% of rainwater, thus alleviating the pressure on storm water and drainage infrastructure
- Reduces the urban heat island effect
- Improves air quality with increased green space which filters air
- Reduces building’s cooling energy consumption and costs particularly in warmer months due to thermal mass effect of the green roof
- Extends lifespan of the waterproofing membrane by protecting it from damaging UV rays and freeze-thaw cycles
- Increases your property value by providing a valuable building asset
Sika Provides Nearly All Products for a Full Green Roof System
- Drainage composite board
- Waterproofing membrane (with loose-laid membrane systems such as Sarnafil®/ Sikaplan® or liquid-applied membranes such as Sikalastic®)
- Protection or separation layer
- Thermal insulation (Sarnatherm®)
- Vapor control layer (Sarnavap®)
- Concrete substrate additives (concrete admixtures)
- Roof accessories (Sarnafil® Walkway Pad, prefabricated accessories, etc.)
- Scuppers, drains and more, depending on project requirements
Sika’s Product Range Benefits Your Green Roof System
- As an industry veteran with over 30 years of experience in green roof construction, Sika has produced more than 1.4 billion m² of membrane worldwide, so you can trust in Sika’s expert support and solutions.
- Sika's roof waterproofing membranes for green roofs are resistant against micro-organisms and root penetration and have proven performance for root resistance (e.g. FLL certification).
- The Sarnafil® manufacturing process uses only the highest quality materials to produce a monolithic, non-laminated membrane that offers excellent weatherability and dimensional stability.
- Sika single ply membranes can be installed in most weather conditions, even at negative temperatures, giving unique flexibility to contractors and designers.
- Sika’s experts provide assistance in your project milestones if needed, including design assistance to architects and specifiers and authorized applicator training.